English as an additional language (ESOL)
English is the third most widespread native language in the world, after Standard Chinese and Spanish. It is the most widely learned second language and is either the official language or one of the official languages in almost 60 sovereign states. There are more people who have learned it as a second language than there are native speakers. English is the most commonly spoken language in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, and it is widely spoken in some areas of the Caribbean, Africa and South Asia.
It is a co-official language of the United Nations, of the European Union and of many other worlds and regional international organisations. It is the most widely spoken Germanic language, accounting for at least 70% of speakers of this Indo-European branch. English has a vast vocabulary, though counting how many words any language has is impossible.
About English as an additional language (ESOL)
Ten Reasons people want to learn English
1. English is the most commonly spoken language in the world. One out of five people can speak or at least understand English!
2. English is the language of science, of aviation, computers, diplomacy, and tourism. Knowing English increases your chances of getting a good job in a multinational company within your home country or of finding work abroad.
3. English is the official language of 53 countries. That is a lot of people to meet and speak to.
4. English is spoken as a first language by around 400 million people around the world.
5. English is the language of the media industry. If you speak English, you won't need to rely on translations and subtitles anymore to enjoy your favourite books, songs, films and TV shows.
6. English is also the language of the Internet. Many websites are written in English – you will be able to understand them and to take part in forums and discussions.
7. English is based on a simple alphabet and it is fairly quick and easy to learn compared to other languages.
8. English is not only useful – it gives you a lot of satisfaction. Making progress feels great. You will enjoy learning English, if you remember that every hour you spend gets you closer to perfection.
9. Since English is spoken in so many different countries there are thousands of schools around the world that offer programmes in English. If you speak English, there're lots of opportunities for you to find an appropriate school and course to suit your academic needs.
10. Because it's fun! By learning English, you will also learn about other cultures. Few experiences will make you grow as a person more than learning the values, habits and way of life in a culture that is different from yours.
Qualifications to learn English as an Additional Language (EAL)
Some exam boards offer exams for students whose first language is not English. These can be the equivalent of a GCSE or Higher. It is worth doing some research to find the right course and school for you. If you have any questions, please let us know at Love2Teach and we can try our best to help
Fun Facts about learning English
- "I am” is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
- A pangram sentence is one that contains every letter in the language.
- The shortest, oldest, and most commonly used word is “I.”
- Swims will be swims even when turned upside down.
- About 4,000 words are added to the dictionary each year.
- The two most common words in English are I and you.
- 11% of the entire English language is just the letter E."
Famous Quotes about learning English
Sign up now
"❝If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.❞ Nelson Mandela
❝One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way.❞ Frank Smith
❝Language is the road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going.❞ Rita Mae Brown"
English as an additional language (ESOL) Resources
No Resources here
Our Love2Teach Blog
To get this file, please fill out this form. We use this data to view